Tuesday, September 25, 2007

We're Here!

"Here" being Grenoble, France, a beautiful city of about 500 000 people tucked in between three mountain ranges in the Alps. We made it safe and sound just over two weeks ago and the last while has been a blur of activities and getting settled and remembering/learning French again and connecting with people.

We've found some wonderful friends (or often, they found us), both French and international, and we are adjusting to the idea that this is our home for the next year.

I (Katy) am enjoying the fact that there is creme brule (sorry about the lack of accents--I haven't figured out this keyboard yet) and creme caramel in the dairy section of every grocery store.

Rich loves that we live in what he tells me is the flatest city in France with the possibility of biking up 12% inclines just outside our doorway. We have been awed by the graciousness and thoughtfulness of people here and are enjoying connecting with all kinds of students. We also came across a local church that has a great mix of ages and backgrounds, and are thankful for another place to feel a sense of home in.




Some fellow students we've been hanging out with.





















We had a shopping excursion with friends to track down large quantities of baking material (chocolate chips in mass volumes aren't easy to find, apparently), so Rich has been baking like mad since that day.


Our apartment is wonderful and already feels like home (me in the kitchen, below). We have people over for Franglais meals and are enjoying learning how to made dishes that are a little more French (like crepes!). If you're planning to visit, send us a note to make your reservation at Chez Splane (when/how long/how many) and we'll mark you down.


















So, since I've never really done a Blog like this before, I'm wondering if people could help me out with what to add to it. If there's information or pictures you think would be worth sharing, let me know and I'll see what I can do (just send me a note at my hotmail address).

There's a neat little blog that a Grenoblian (?) has set up with daily pictures of life in the city. It's definitely worth taking a look at: www.grenobledailyphoto.blogspot.com

All in all, we have much to be thankful for. We appreciate tons the notes and e-mails and prayers and encouragement. Thank you.
A bientot! (I'll get on those accents)